Sunday, November 21, 2010

Tempoyak (fermented durian)


Tempoyak or fermented durian flesh is a must in my mother's kitchen. My late father will request for tempoyak mixed with freshly pounded chili paste to be eaten with plain steamed rice, and he will be a happy camper.

I really cant put into words how good tempoyak is eaten as a side dish with chili or added into any dish like Gulai Ikan Patin Tempoyak, or Sambal Tempoyak Daun. When added to a coconut cream based dish, it adds another dimension in flavour and cuts through the creaminess of the coconut milk.

Just because tempoyak is not readily available in Australia, does not mean I cant have tempoyak in my pantry, right?

As durian is readily available here, all I need is to grab myself a durian, crack open the thorny shell and start separating the flesh from the seeds.

You will need:

1 glass jar with lid
durian flesh from 1 durian
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
Plastic cling wrap

Fill your jar with the durian flesh and add salt & sugar. Mix well and leave out on the counter overnight covered with cling wrap. The fermentation process will take place within 24 hours but please do not cover your jar with the lid as the bottle may actually explode with the gas buildup.

The next day you can close the lid on the jar and place your tempoyak in the refrigerator for up to 12 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment